Letter from the Sykesville Post Office Ladies

by Jack White on November 11, 2012

As you probably know by now, the Sykesville town post office closed abruptly last week when one of the women who run it was fired and the three others walked off the job in protest. The former employees have been circulating a very well-written letter through the regular old US mail, which we thought we would pass along.

Sykesville Post Office closed as employees resign

So here goes.

November 7, 2012

Dear Friends and Patrons of Old Main Line Visitor’s Center and Post Office,

The Carroll County Times published a story on November 6, 2012, relating the details that led to the closing of this facility. On Thursday, November 1, 2012 Interim Town Manager  Chief John Williams, Jr. fired the manager of OML, Jean Maher, as a result of a unanimous vote by Mayor Michael Miller and the Sykesville Town Council. The reason given for this dismissal was “employee misconduct”. Maintaining that this was a grave injustice, the remaining employees of Old Main Line, Connie McKay, Kathy Gambrill and Judy Lettie handed in letters of resignation and building keys to Chief Williams’ designee on Monday, November 5.

We were baffled by the reason given for this abrupt dismissal. Questions as to Mrs. Maher’s termination were answered with “this is a personnel issue and cannot be discussed”.

Jean’s April budget hearing presentation in defense of keeping the Post Office was mentioned at her termination as a contributing factor for this abrupt action. This was followed by a charge of recent employee misconduct, which is strongly denied.

We wonder how and who could make such an accusation; what could be the facts that could dismiss the manager of this business — one with no record of any complaints during the past ten years of service. It is our desire and hope that Mrs. Maher’s name be cleared of this injustice.

We believe that the services provided to our patrons have value as supported by the many, many verbal and written responses we have received over the years. It has been our pleasure to serve our loyal customers and we will surely miss our daily communications across the counter.

Due to the fact that we are no longer employees of the Town of Sykesville, we no longer have a say in the operations of Old Main Line. If this is a matter of concern to you, we would encourage you to attend the next Town Council meeting on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 7 pm at the Town House. Perhaps you could get the answers to these questions.

Thank you very much for sharing your lives and stories with us along with your support and patronage for the past ten years.

Respectfully,

Jean Maher, Connie McKay, Kathy Gambrill, Judy Lettie

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Sharon tringali November 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I am terribly upset and concerned about the attitude
Of our Town Politics. I am so sorry for those employees
Involved as are my customers who used to frequent
That post office. We all lived the personalized service
And friendly faces, you will be sadly missed. This kind of
Behavior and attitude is why I stay out of the Town business,
I see a lot of petty arguing and don’t want to be involved. Best
Of luck to Jean, Connie, Kathy and Judy.

Pam High November 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

I am saddened that you wonderful ladies are no longer at OML post office. During my time on Main Street you were always wonderful to me and always pleasant and helpful. When my son went into the military you always helped me sending off his packages and when I asked that you join me in sending packages to his troop you always did and monthly sent out your package too. It is a horrible injustice that has happened and even though I am not on Main Street any longer I still used that location for all of my mailing needs. I don’t look forward to having to go to the Eldersburg branch now. I live in Ellicott City and still came to Sykesville for postal services. The people who did this should be ashamed to have made this closing happen. It makes me feel even better about my decision to move my business from Main Street. Good Luck to you snd the best to all of you fantastic women…

Deanna Williston November 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

The level of service by these women has always been over the top. I always try to mail my packages through them because I know that they are knowledgeable and helpful. Jean, Connie, Kathy and Judy will be deeply missed!

Ginny Hottle November 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Wow! What is going on in that beautiful old town? The ladies of the Post Office/Visitor Center were all very active in town promotion. Some years ago, when I resided in Sykesville, I worked along side of them in the Spring Flower Fests. And Kathy’s program for the older town residents has been a huge success. When my granddaughter was little and “in love” with Peter Pan, we would give her letters to Jean and she would see that Peter (that would be me) would receive the letter. Real, old fashion, small town service is hard to find in this day and age. What a shame that present day politics can take that away. This kind of publicity will not help you fill those empty storefronts on Main Street.

Wiley Purkey November 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm

It took a vision, years of planning, budgeting, meetings, pulling favors, good luck, happenstance, a lot of volunteerism, and sweat equity to build the Post Office. Looks like it took just a few minutes to destroy it.
It seems to be forgotten when the Post Office is measured by what it costs, that those costs also include the entire building, the bathroom maintenance and supplies, the meeting room utilities and maintenance, and the fact that it was also our only visitor’s center. It was more than a post office. It was the best good-will ambassador that the town had.
I for one, and most likely not the only one, do not live in town, but chose to take my post office business there. Now with no post office, it’s just one more reason not to visit the Main Street.

Joe Murri November 12, 2012 at 10:31 pm

This is up to the citizens. Come out wed night and share your views. We might never know the true story on the Jean firing given it’s personal but every event has 2 sides and I am not sure both sides are being heard. Will Jean share her side wed night?
Could the town have a conflict of interest between the main street rebuilding plan and the post office? Bottom line is things need fixed fast and we need someone to lead the town in the right direction…higher taxes, town mgr departs after 17 years,post office conflict and crew quits, and main street has too many for rent signs. Lots come downtown for the post office, me being one of them. Come out wed. Let your voice be heard. We voted these people in.

Tom Glinka November 13, 2012 at 8:25 am

The Post Office is part of Main Street in Sykesville and is one big reason i stop there at all. Fix this problem and get these dedicated workers back. I use the post Office several times ma week and the savings in gas alone as well as time means a lot to me. The trip to the main Post office is over five miles each way and when you get there it is long lines and often unhappy workers. The woman of the Main St. Post Office rock.