John McDonald lives here now.
But once he lived here. Oh, just a thirty second walk across the street from St. Joseph’s Catholic.
Hard to believe that the massive structure that is now the Sykesville Townhouse was once a private residence, but it was. John McDonald lived there with his wife, Kate.
McDonald came to Sykesville from Ireland around 1856 at the age of ten and somewhere along the way became owner of the big stone building that serves as the St. Barnabas Parish House. He ran a store there for many years. His wife, Kate, continued to run the store and sold it in 1916.
And in 1910, four years after John died, the house looked like this.