A short sad Sykesville Story – Meet the Cauthorns

by Jack White on January 12, 2013

While taking pictures of John Bennett, the Confederate boat captain buried in Springfield Cemetery, I came across the Cauthorns. Here is their short sad story.

cauthorn - stone

cauthorn - fanny

cauthorn - mary

cauthorn-alex

cauthorn - rhoda

cauthorn - wilmer

cauthorn-margaret

cauthorn-helen

cauthorn-long-view2

They lived long, or they barely lived at all.

The end.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Fay Dowling January 21, 2013 at 1:18 am

I knew the Cauthorns, sort of. I vaguely remember Alex and his three sisters. My father farmed their land for many years, and we rode horses through their farm to reach trails down to Ellicott City and beyond. The water that rose from a natural spring up into the spring house below the barn had the most delicious taste – or perhaps it tasted so good from working hard in the hay fields on hot summer days. I remember the sisters, Helen and Margaret, and their grand, tall thoroughbreds, watching them set out as if to ride a hunt. Elegant ladies, or so they seemed, to one so young as I was. Their farm was up on Arrington Road, between Sykesville and Marriottsville. I often daydreamed of what it was like inside their grand home. I never did see myself, unless it was when i was very, very young. Before I reached my teens, my father was no longer farming their land, and the ladies no longer rode. I never knew them to not be old, and mysterious, and always, elegant.

Jack White January 21, 2013 at 9:21 am

Hi Fay,

Thanks so much, that’s fascinating. It’s good to know that those who didn’t die as babies grew up to elegant mysterious ladies.

Jack

Andrea White January 21, 2013 at 10:12 am

It’s a joy to hear your lovely, lyrical story Fay! Thank you!

MARIE HOOD JONES January 21, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Well written Faye, I’ve been gone so long, that names and faces are disconnected. This was a delightful tidbit of history.

Tim Iannuzzi February 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm

My mother Susan Ann O’Brien lived with Cauthorns sometime in the late 40′s. I’ve been trying to find out why she lived there. I knew them as Uncle Ellick, Aunt Helen & Aunt Agnes but not sure if Aunt Agnes was Aunt Margaret., My mom died in 1990 and we never found out why she lived there as a child. But we had been there though out the years. I know they are not related because none of them were married. However, I remember that there could have been a 3rd sister and got married but not positive. If anyone else knows more please share.

Fay Dowling February 15, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I recently spoke with my mother, Dorothy Hood. She and my father, Lyman Hood, were raised in the area. My dad was actually born in a home that lies far under Piney Run, and raised in Sykesville. My mom said that there was a fourth sister, who did not live with the others. She married, and had a son. There may have been more children, but this is all she remembers with certainty. Might be interesting to research further!

Fay Dowling February 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Oh! Jack, and Andrea – are you related to Mike and Lisa? They went to school with me, would have graduated in the mid-80′s from Liberty High.

Mary Dean Stewart February 19, 2014 at 9:24 am

Concerning the Family of Alex Cauthorn– If you are still interested in knowing more, I believe I can help you. As a child I rode with them and lived beside them until I moved to Florida.

Shirley Day Barrick February 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I was friends with Alex and Helen. When I was a teenager I used to ride their horse Barney. I finally got my own horse and rode with them quite often. I was riding with Alex one day and he picked this thing off a tree and told me to take a bite, I did it turned my mouth inside out it was a persimmon ugh , Alex thought it was hysterical, I didn’t. Iwas in the house many times, I loved it, we had lunch or just tea and talked. Alex was very stricked about you sitting straigh t in the saddle he always would put his hand in my back and say straighten up girl or you’ll ruin your back. I remember when Helen’s horse threw her and she broke her back.

Shirley Day Barrick February 21, 2014 at 8:21 am